[davis@skink.net: /var/log/auth.log errors]

Originally posted to debian user.  On second thought, this is
probably a better forum.

----- Forwarded message from davis <davis@skink.net> -----

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:08:23 -0500
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
From: davis@skink.net (davis)
Subject: /var/log/auth.log errors

Hello

What would cause this error to be put in my /var/log/auth.log file?

Mar 26 06:52:17 mrfan /sbin/getty[15828]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as standard input: No such device

These are the facts:

ls -l /dev/tty5
crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,   5 Mar  4 16:48 /dev/tty5

>From my /etc/inittab file
# /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
#
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Other info,  I am using Debian Sparc 2.1 with only stable updates on a
headless sparc5.  I only use ssh to connect to this computer.

when I did a ps auxw | grep tty, it did not list any output.
However, if I connect the monitor and keyboard and restart the
computer, then I will get /sbin/getty output in my ps auxw list.

Is that the source of my error?  Running getty in my inittab yet not
having a keyboard installed?  If so, is there some way I could conditionally run
getty so it only runs when I have the keyboard installed?

John