bad magic number, or ignorance?

(Since my questions may not betray how little I know of Sun hardware,
I'll tell you straight out:  Less than you think.)

I inherited a largish ultrasparc box, and replaced the motherboard to
get around an unknown firmware password.  I can power-on the box, and
after the initial few minutes of diagnostics, at the OpenBoot (3.14)
'ok' prompt, tell it to 'boot floppy'.

Incidentally, I 'dd' an image of
potato/main/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/images-1.44/rescue.bin
onto a floopie, and insert it into ``fdthree''.

So, the output of 'boot floppy' is

- --
...[ banner info ]

% Device /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/se@14,400000 being marked with 'status' == fail
% Device /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/su@14,3083f8 being marked with 'status' == fail
% Device /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/su@14,3062f8 being marked with 'status' == fail
% Device /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/ecpp@14,3043bc being marked with 'status' == fail

[ initialing memory ]

? System tests failed
Rebooting with command: boot floppy
Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/fdthree  File and args:     [ disk spins up ]
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating: boot floppy

Can't open boot device

ok
- --

My question:  Is ``Bad magic number in disk label'' a result of the
earlier error message (id est, can one always boot floppies, except in
error conditions), or might it be an expectedly unusable image (i.e.,
``one can't boot floppies that way, silly!'') ?

						- chad