Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Detlev Zundel wrote:
>
> > It is indeed `s' as I managed to write a Sun label by now - but it does
> > still not occurr in the help.
>
> The thing is, I remember it being there (on the help).  Cause I wouldn't have
> known which one to use otherwise...  So, I'd like to find out why it doesn't
> show on yours.

It's one of those perverse realities, I'm afraid.  If your disk has
already been formatted with DOS-style partitions, the "s" option does not
appear.  It is, however, present, even though invisible; just type an "s"
at the prompt, and you should see a Sun disklabel screen.

In any case, you will also need to install SILO, so that the firmware will
know how to boot from your disk.  This ought to happen at the "make Linux
bootable from hard disk" step.

Best wishes!

John Chapman        hannes@eskimo.com       hannes@pop.nwnexus.com