Re: Still probelms to boot from SD

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Manfred Plagmann wrote:

> Hi,
> I still can't get my Sparc IPX booting Linux from the HD.
>
> I have received some answers to this problem which gave me a better
> insight. As I understand the HD has to have a partition which spans the
> whole drive. I intent to have one Linux and one swap partition. I
> therefore set the partition table up to have one 83 (Linux native) and
> one 82 (Linux swap) the third partition should now span the whole disk
> and should have the type WHOLE DISK. But I don't see this type listed in
> fdisk. Someone wrote to use type 5 which is EXTENDED but this somehow
> didn't do it.
[Nifty: line-justify in pine 3.96 auto-quotes a quoted line]

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Manfred

Here's the partitioning on my IPX's HD (The OEM hard drive AFAICT)

nasal:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 9 heads, 80 sectors, 1151 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 720 * 512 bytes

   Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             0      1100    396000   83  Linux native
/dev/sda2  u       1100      1151     18360   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3             0      1151    414360    0  Empty

BTW, mine had a non-booting Solaris install on it when I got it, and I
just wiped the Solaris partition and installed Linux instead. /dev/sda3
was there from Solaris AFAICT.

-- Ferret no baka