Re: compiling 2.2.13

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 11:29:17PM +0100, Pieter Krul wrote:
> Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > i already tried using /boot/config-2.2.13 from the sun4u kernel-image
> > package as my .config. same problem. ioctl32.c bombed out with
> > complaints about raid stuff.
>
> Perhaps the following advice from the ultralinux@vger.rutgers.edu list
> helps:
>
> -----------------
> To: Bosko Radivojevic <bole@falcon.etf.bg.ac.yu>
> CC: ultralinux@vger.rutgers.edu
>
> On Thu, Dec 02 1999, Bosko Radivojevic wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Again me with problems ;)
> >
> > I've tried to compile 2.2.13 kernel.. I did make menuconfig, make dep, and
> > just 'make'. But, include/linux/raid/md.h file is missing?
>
> [disclaimer: quoted from davem]
>
> This was an oversight wrt the new raid code. Get and apply
> 2.2.14-pre9 (or whatever is newest now), it compiles and
> runs just fine (for me at least :).

ah. i just tried commenting out the raid stuff in ioctl32.c which then
compiled OK, but the kernel compile still failed due to other errors.

i'd like to stick with 2.2.13 if at all possible. i'm really sick of the
bugs in the 2.2 series kernel...most of which are caused by the the fact
that 2.2 kernel is NOT being treated as a stable, bugfix only release.
every new version has folded in new features from the 2.3 the series,
which has resulted in new bugs.

2.2.13 has turned out to be very stable for i386 architecture (the first
really stable kernel since 2.2 was released) so i want to stick with it
and avoid the new code / new bugs in the 2.2.14pre patches.

thanks for your comment. when i get time, i'll try folding in only the
fixes from 2.2.14...but i don't think that's going to be an easy job (i
am not a kernel hacker)

craig

--
Craig Sanders