Re: Major breakage in Slink..

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 08:02:39PM -0800, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> >
> > I've just noticed a few things while installing Debian on my IPX.
>[snip] (upgrade stuff to potato's version)
apt-move wanted too much stuff upgraded (actually broke some things), so I
grabbed source and tweaked dependencies. Then I copied stuff from my
Lintel slink box to make debhelper work. :>

> > setserial crashes the console (bad if you're running a serial console)
> > setserial tries to initialise to Lintel IRQ settings on sparc
> dpkg --purge setserial
> Setserial makes little sense on stock sparc systems.
Yeah. :>

> > (on kernel 2.2.13) something causes a kernel panic/OOPS having to do with
> > the serial ports
>
> Haven't noticed this. Perhaps emailing sparclinux@vger.rutgers.edu would
> be of more help.
Mmmm. I have a full console log of one of the 'nice sessions'. Basically
go ahead and explain that I'm running a serial console, then send the
.config (if I can recreate it) and the console log as attachments?

> > (in potato) 'login' can't change tty permissions, and man can't change its
> > cat page permissions.
>
> Login does not change tty permissions for a very good reason, mainly
> security related. I'm not sure what you mean about man and it's cat pages,
> I haven't noticed any problems with man at all.
I'll check this if I ever to a full upgrade to potato again. Oh, now that
I'm actually AWAKE (g), it was saying 'function not implimented'.