Re: Booting from CD Error Message

Hi...

> I'm trying to install Linux on a SparcStation 1+, any Linux at this point.  Can anybody tell me what the error message "Bad magic number on disk" might mean when I try nto boot from an external CD.  Thanks.

The Sun PROM (the equivalent to the PC's BIOS) expects a "Sun label" on
the disk. If there is NO such label, for example if you partitioned your
disk with a PC, the Sun PROM issues this "bad magic number" warning.
I think you can savely ignore this message here. If you want to aviod this
message in the future (if you're booting from internal hard disk), my
hint is to use Sun's "format" utility to create partition (size). Later,
after booting linux (from a rescue disk, e.g.) you only have to change
partition types (IDs) to "linux native" btw. "linux swap"- for this
task you may use linux' "fdisk".
And leave the "Whole disk" partition untouched exepted from changing it's ID.
As far as I know, at least SILO (the boot loader) needs this.

--
cya
	ANDI

Mail		A.Jaehnigen@gmx.de			(E-Mail)