Re: Need to make dhcpcd work

"rmathis" <rmathis@europa1.conwaycorp.net> writes:

> 	I have sucessfully installed debian sparc base from floppies and now
> need to get dhcpcd working in order to finish the install. I have
> installed the dhcpcd package recommended on the package list but it
> fails to run even though there were no errors with the install. When I
> run the command dhcpcd -d eth0 to run dhcpcd in the foregroud I get a
> Bus Error and dhcpcd does not start. I do not believe it starts from
> the init.d script either as it does not show in ps ax even though a
> pid is in the file that dhcpcd creates whwn it starts and when you do
> the command dhcpcd -k eth0 it says that there is no pid to kill. I am
> required to run dhcp by my provider and this is a cable modem system.
> My Solaris box works well with the modem. Any help with this would be
> greatly appreciated.

Which kernel?

If you are using a 2.2.x kernel, you should be able to get dhcpcd-sv
from "potato" (or the dhcpcd-sv program in the "dhcpcd" package in
potato) to run.

I'm not completely surprised that you're getting bus errors, I don't
think anybody has tested dhcpcd on the Sparc.  I have to make a bunch
of sparc specific patches to dhcpcd-sv to get it to run without bus
errors.  (Bus errors are caused by unaligned writes, they don't affect
intel machine.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu