Re: Problems booting Slink

> > Are you trying to boot from floppy or hard drive?  Did you type "boot
> > floppy" at the PROM prompt?  Can you include a couple of the lines
> > before the SILO line?
>
> I'm trying to boot from floppy by typing boot floppy (at the new style
> prompt) or b floppy (at the old style prompt). In both cases I get the
> same error message.
>
> As you request, here you have a couple of lines before the SILO line:
>
> ok boot floppy
> Boot device: /fd File and args:
> SILO
> Fatal eror: Cannot read partition

Try "boot floppy linux", then "boot floppy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" (lots of
Xs), then just "boot floppy" again. Sounds stupid, but it once worked
for me.

It may be that there is something strange about your floppy drive.
(Does it work normally as far as you know?)

Can you try a different way of installing, i.e. network?

(Is it possible to dd the boot floppy onto a spare hard disc partition
then boot from there with appropriate arguments to SILO? This is the
way they recommend installing BSD, and it might be appropriate for
people who have neither a floppy drive, nor a bootable CD drive, nor a
rarp/tftp server, but do have SunOS/Solaris running, so it might be
worth documenting if it's not too hard to do.)

Edmund