Re: 2.1_r0 install experience

eichin@thok.org (Mark W. Eichin) writes:

> So, I went through the install, and an old problem reappeared...

> When booting off of this disk (sd(0,2,0)), I get

> Bad magic number in disk label!
> Bad magic number in disk label!
> IProgram terminated.
> ok

> I assume this is because (1) the disk was originally formatted on an
> x86 linux box, so it has a DOS partition table (2) fdisk isn't a "big
> enough hammer" to fix that...

> I did note that fdisk had a "b" option for "edit bsd partition table"
> but all it said was "/dev/sdb has no BSD-style partition table"...
> I did find (after rebooting with the rescue zip disk) the eXpert mode
> "g" option for "create an IRIX partition table" which is somewhat
> distressing...  and in fact, that looks like what it *does* do.  Very
> very strange.

On the sparc, fdisk has:

   s   create a new empty Sun disklabel

which is what you want. (It appears that "s" is in the intel version
too - although it doesn't appear in the menus, and I don't know for
sure if all the endian issues are worked out.)  Intelsilo is at:

    http://www.cse.msu.edu/~dunham/debian/silo/

as soon as the maintainer folds my changes into the package in potato,
I'll generate a potato intelsilo.  (May be done already, I'll have to
check.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu