Re: Problems with SILO (Sparc slink)

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:

> > What exactly do I need to put a Sun disk label on my disk?  Solaris?? I
> > hope not :)
>
> You can do it with fdisk. It's in the manual:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/sparc/ch-init-config.en.html#s-dbootstrap-partition
>
> (Does dbootstrap in potato make this any more foolproof?)

Hmm the joke is on me I guess.  Just because I wanted fdisk to actually
/print/ `s' in the help before trying it out, I never made it to that
point.  Sure someone else mentioned `s' before but it did not occurr to me
that one needs a /hidden feature/ to get things rolling.

I can't tell about dbootstrap in potato but the one in slink happily
initialized the swap partition and the existing filesystem without even
/hinting/ at problems.  Ok, ok, I missed the bit in the docs, I confess.
It might be that I even read them but forgot about them as (nearly)
everything worked out.

Thanks anyway - but if fdisk in potato still does not mention `s' in its
help I will file a bug against it.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
The  mathematician's patterns,  like the  painter's or  the poet's,  must be
beautiful;  the ideas, like the colours or the words, must fit together in a