Re: Still probelms to boot from SD

Manfred Plagmann wrote:
> Hi,
> I still can't get my Sparc IPX booting Linux from the HD.
>
> I have received some answers to this problem which gave me a better insight.
> As I understand the HD has to have a partition which spans the whole drive. I
> intent to have one Linux and one swap partition. I therefore set the
> partition table up to have one 83 (Linux native) and one 82 (Linux swap) the
> third partition  should now span the whole disk and should have the type
> WHOLE DISK. But I don't see this type listed in fdisk. Someone wrote to use
> type 5 which is EXTENDED but this somehow didn't do it.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Manfred

Are you sure you are using a Sun disklabel, not MSDOS partition table ?
If your disk comes from a PC box, try the 's' option in fdisk.  It will build
a new sun disklabel with one swap and one ext2fs partition (and the whole disk
partition as number 3).
Note that the Sun disklabel is required by OpenPROM (the boot monitor) to boot
from HD.

My fdisk reports the following tags for partitions types:

# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): l

 0  Empty            3  SunOS swap       6  SunOS stand     82  Linux swap
 1  Boot             4  SunOS usr        7  SunOS var       83  Linux native
 2  SunOS root       5  Whole disk       8  SunOS home

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 17 heads, 80 sectors, 1965 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1360 * 512 bytes

   Device Flag    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             0      752   511360   83  Linux native
/dev/sda2  u        752      848    65280   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3             0     1965  1336200    5  Whole disk
/dev/sda4           848     1965   759560   83  Linux native

Regards.