Re: Cross-compiling on Debian systems?

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 02:48:55PM -0800, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to set up a cross-compiler on my Lintel (AMD 266) to compile
> > packages for my Sparc IPX. I'd preferably like to package the
> > cross-compiler so I can esaily remove it if I no longer need it.
> >
> > The only cross-compiler in the slink packages list is for m68k.
> >
> > What do I need to do to set one up?
>
> The last cross-compiler I built (for kernel compiles) was using the m68k
> cross-compiler package. I just changed the m68k references to sparc, and
> ran dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot (change all of the m68k
> references in debian/ to sparc).

I just did a 'debian/rules binary' in 'gcc-m68k-linux-2.8.1' after
changing 'm68k' to 'sparc', and I get a build error. Looks like the gcc
buildstrap isn't working.

./xgcc -B./ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -O2 -I./include  -I. -I. \
-I./config  -g0 \
  -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions -fno-exceptions  \
  -c ./crtstuff.c -DCRT_BEGIN -o crtbegin.o
as: option `-s' is ambiguous
make[1]: *** [crtbegin.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `gcc-m68k-linux-2.8.1'
make: *** [build] Error 2

I get the exact same error if I use dpkg-buildpackage. I don't know enough
about building gcc to know what's wrong. And this is the source package
from ftp.ca.debian.org (us.debian.org not responding to me through lynx
for some reason)

I also found out I need the binutils-m68k-linux package, and that's being
downloaded as I type..

-- Ferret no baka