Re: sparc libc5 support (report #29585).

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 02:06:52PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> I saw a bug filed against libreadline2 (libc5), that this package
> should not be built anymore for sparc. Is altgcc still needed for
> sparc (and the patch from report #29585) ?

The libc5 and altgcc packages are still wanted. But we can't really
support other packages building with libc5 since most of them either wont,
or don't work when they do compile. We've never released Debian/SPARC
based on libc5, and since jdk for sparc is now available for glibc
2.0/2.1, aswell as netscape (was, but netscape doesn't offer a sparc-linux
download anymore), there isn't much need for it anymore.

Plus, the latest libc5 in the archive wont even build for sparc (which is
the cause of some of the problems, since some programs require the latest
version).

As for the patch in the bug report, please apply it. Perhaps we can
atleast get the latest libc5 to build (and working on ultrasparc).

The only reason for keeping altgcc and libc5 is legacy support, but I
suspect we will remove it all together after potato releases.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '