[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Old libgmp2 problems (was Re: Why did you break my package!)

Ok, first of all, I would like to point out that you have reduced this to
a really ugly situation. Your initial email to me was condescending and
completely out of line. That is the reason my replies have been somewhat
cold in nature. That does not excuse your attitude, vulgar language, and
downright shitty displacement.

Since I am Cc'ing this to debian-sparc, I will not include any of the
previous correspondence between us. I do want to include that list, since
you will here from others who were affected by this problem, not once, but
twice, leaving their systems unaccessible.

To start from the begining...

You uploaded a new libgmp2 2.0.2-1 that at first would not even work
because of the silly soname problems, thus it was never compiled for
sparc. Then you uploaded a 2.0.2-2 that fixed this. Now the problem arose
after it was compiled for sparc. Soon people started to restart their sshd
servers. Upon trying to start them back up, they noticed it hung trying to
generate part of the key. This was attributed to libgmp2.

What followed were serveral posts. I believe Steve Dunham was involved,
and several others. A patch was produced to fix the problem (I believe it
came from Dave Miller). I was told that a bug was filed on libgmp2 with
this patch included. A binary _only_ NMU was made for sparc to get it
working again, until you, the maintainer, could include the patch into the
main debian source.

Several weeks later, you uploaded a 2.0.2-3, that did NOT include this
patch. People started emailing this list _again_ complaining and wondering
why we had such a messed up libgmp2 for sparc (rather irrate that they
couldn't access their remote systems anymore). So, I made an NMU this time
(I did not make the first), using the patch and made sure to do a diff
upload so that it would be more noticable. I did not check the BTS, since
I was under the impression that it was already there. I also did not
contact you because I have way too much to do as it is.

Now the fact that you did not notice this for some time, tells me that a)
it wouldn't have made a difference to email you then ask for a new
version, b) we would have been left all this time without a working
libgmp2 for sparc, and an NMU would have been needed anyway.

Now note something:

[bmc@blimpo(10:25pm)-~]%dpkg -l libgmp2
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
||/ Name            Version        Description
ii  libgmp2         2.0.2-3.1      Multiprecision arithmetic library
[bmc@blimpo(10:25pm)-~]%l /usr/lib/libgmp*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Aug 14 19:26 /usr/lib/libgmp.so.2 -> libgmp.so.2.0.2
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       125236 Aug 14 19:25 /usr/lib/libgmp.so.2.0.2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Aug 14 19:26 /usr/lib/libgmp2.so.2 -> libgmp.so.2.0.2

This is on my sparc, using the package I NMU'd. The links are fine
(although I think the nameing of the library is really fscked up, but
that's beside the point). The bug report you refer to is not of the sparc
arch upload I made. Now, after looking at the bug report, and your rules
file, there is no way this was because of the current package. My only
conclusion is a) ldconfig, or b) bad upgrade, from an older package.

One of these would be a system problem, the other would be _your_ problem.
None of them are from my NMU.

My final word on this, take your shit talking crap someplace else. I have
an arch to get release ready, and you are taking up my time.


Reply to: