Re: Serial console on IPX (Was: Sparc serial port pinout?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, John Chapman wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Nov 1999 ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> > >
> > > It would make the debugging job a whole lot easier to fire up the IPX with
> > > a head, if only to make sure it runs properly to begin with.
> >
> > Adding a head would put me back about $150 unless I could find a less
> > expensive supplier for the keyboard and video converters, and then I
> > wouldn't need serial console.
> >
> > Sun sells a ps2 keyboard and mouse converter for $75, and Blackbox has a
> > 13W3/VGA converter for about $45. I would love a head on this thing if it
> > wouldn't be quite so expensive.
>
> You can find used Sun keyboards--sometimes nearly brand-new--on eBay for
> US$25-40.  You don't really need a mouse for the installation :-)  And I
> think you can find the video converters for about half the Blackbox price,
> if you look around on the Net; I think I found one for $19 or so.

Am websearching again right now, have found some interesting other
components so far. :> Will get back on the search later.

If anyone's using a serial console on their Sparc (MD8 serial port) and
knows the manufacturer and part number for their cable, please post it?

-- Ferret no baka