Making less more...

Good morning!

I've been cleaning out some temporary drives of mine, and I'm getting to
the point where I'm not always recognizing files by their name, especially
ones which may be DOS files I've kept around. Being too lazy to unzip
every single one, I remember using the less command back on my 486 running
Slackware to view the contents of .zip and .tar.gz files. On my Debian
SPARC 2.1 system, however, this is not the case. Does anyone know how to
change the behavior of less (perhaps a global configuration file)?

Here's an example:

$ less djdev201.zip
"djdev201.zip" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

And if I say yes, it'll start spitting out binary stuff at me, not a
listing of paths/files like I'd like it to.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * Descent * SCSI
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Raiders * Galaga * SPARCstation LX
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Wars * Voltron * Star Trek * Summer
--Linux/SPARC-Debian-2.1--------------!  ! ! L I N U X ! !  !-----2.2.13--