fdisk problem

I'm still trying to get a backup strategy in place for my Sparc 5 running
slink. I decided to use tar to create a copy of my root disk, just to get
a viable backup going, then revisit the issue of getting either rsh or ssh
running.

I had sda set up with root, swap, and two other partitions; even with
gzipping the tar file, it was still too big to fit on either of the final
two partitions, so I decided to consolidate them into a single partition.

Problem is that I get the following error message every time I try to
write the updated partition table from fdisk:

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.
Re-read table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy.
Reboot your system to ensure the partition table is updated.

This happens even when I've made no changes, just start fdisk and write.

I tried using mke2fs after creating a single final partition, writing the
table, and rebooting; fdisk showed the big partition, but when I mounted
it, df showed it to be the same size as it was before the repartition.

--Walter Keeler

Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *