Re: XFree86 Problems

"Michael Jean" <cait-sith@home.com> writes:

> ok, heres two discrepencies i noted; i've never used X with an ultra, but..

> >Operating System: Linux 2.2.9 sparc64 [ELF]
> >Configured drivers:
> >  Mach64: accelerated server for ATI Mach64 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel
> 0)
> >(using VT number 7)

> Linux 2.2.9/64

> Now, from your dmesg

> >Linux version 2.2.1 (root@fatneck) (gcc version egcs-2.92.11 19980921 (gcc2
> ss-980609 experimental))

> 2.2.1 v 2.2.9.. perhaps your X server is wrong? are you sure you're using
> the proper sparc ati server?
> just a thought

Actually, the problem (rather obscure) is that he has a special add-on
24 bit card which is /dev/fb0 and XF86_Mach64 only looks at /dev/fb0.

A few things to try:

  I think XSun24 from potato supports the other, better card, try it
  first.

  If not, try:

    rm /dev/fb0
    mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 32

  (Option #3 is to remove the special Creator graphics card, which
  another Debian user did a while ago, I like option #2 better, assuming
  it works.)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu