problem getting serial modem working

i'm trying to get my modem working with my sparc 2 running debian and
so far i havent been able to talk to it.  during boot, the kernel does
recognize the devices, prints something like

/dev/tty00  Zylog devide (i think it is zylog, or zylogic)
/dev/tty01

i've been trying to talk to the modem, i've tried ttyS0-ttyS3, using
pppd, but in all cases, i get no response from the modem (the lights
don't even change).

I've tried both the A serial port and the B serial port on the back of
the sparc.

I've noticed that there are no /dev/cua? devices, so i cant try those.

I will try to install minicom and play around some more, but anyone
have any ideas?

- karan

oh, one more thing.  I have 32MB of ram and when i run X with twm and
startup netscape, it takes netscape about 5 minutes before it shows up.
If you have a sparc 2 with linux, what is your performance like running
netscape?