Re: kernel source, patches and headers...

I don't use Debian's kernel-source package at all. It's easy to build
the kernel using the upstream source and there are instructions in lots
of places, including in the source itself (available from
ftp.kernel.org or mirrors).

Compiling the Linux kernel is easier than partitioning a disc,
configuring X and many other things that Linux users have to do. (Even
modifying the kernel is surprisingly easy as the kernel code is so well
organised, compared to most code I've seen ...)

I recommend you start with 2.2.7 or 2.2.9, though, in order to avoid
needing SPARC-specific patches.

That's just my opinion. Other people might tell you to use the
kernel-source package.

Edmund