Problem upgrading x fonts

Hi all.

I've been regularly apt-get upgrade'ing for some time now, and all
has been good (except the newest 'apt' package is still broken for
me). Anyway, as of a couple of days ago, I cannot upgrade to the
latest xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi and xfonts-base packages. They
are held back, and if I try to override the hold, they claim they
have unmet dependencies, namely, xbase-clients.
However, the following packages are installed:

ii  xbase-clients   3.3.2.3a-11    miscellaneous X clients
ii  xfonts-100dpi   3.3.3.1-3      100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi    3.3.3.1-3      75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base     3.3.3.1-3      standard fonts for X

The clients package is indeed there, although it is an earlier version.

Can someone help? I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks,

james