netboot image: Nope, kernel gzip'ed! :-(

Hi there,

It seems to me as if the kernel image on Sparc is a gzip'ed binary, right?
(/etc/silo.conf points to a file vmlinuz, and file(1) says "gzip data")
Why is this??
I have troubles here using the "mknbi-linux" command from the "netboot"
package. "mknbi-linux" complains about "Bad magic number" if I feed the
kernel iamge file to it.
Even unzipping doesn't help- mknbi-linux still complains about "Bad magic
number".

So ... How it is possible to create a net-bootable image of a kernel?

Any hints are appreciated! :-)

--
cya
	ANDI