Re: [NOTICE] libc6 problems (Re: libc and other things)

Samuel Tardieu <sam@debian.org> wrote:
> So, the question now is: has anyone be able to boot a SS10 using
> kernel 2.2.7?

I'm a newcomer to sparc-Debian but an old Debian user. I installed
my first sparc Linux box (SS20, 2CPUs, 288MB memory) on Sunday
evening.

After playing with it a bit, I compiled a 2.2.7 kernel and it did
not boot. The boot process froze just before switching to Linux
boot screen which displays the penguin(s). Going back to 2.2.6
solved the problem.

However, I had to go all the back to 2.1.125 before the box became
stable. I tried 2.2.1 and 2.2.6 and it froze quite often. One of
the problems is the "use X, get killed" problem which is discussed
e.g. on sparc-linux list. The SS20 is our old server which might
have a little flaky hardware which might explain some of the
mysterious crashes. It's been up for 37 hours now and is running
2.1.125 kernel.

>   Sam

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland