Re: More glibc 2.1.1 stuff

 > Ben,

 > I'm still trying to figure out the glibc 2.1.1 stuff.  A lot of stuff
 > seems to break if I use your 2.1.1-0.2 package (on a sun4u machine).
 > I'm not sure why (the 2.1.1-0.1.1 package worked fine).  I tried a
 > recompile of the 0.2 package and it didn't help  (2.2.5+cvs kernel).

 > In an effort to figure out what is going wrong, I grabbed the Red Hat
 > source package from their RawHide distribution (which runs fine with
 > their 2.2.4 kernel on all machines).

 > There were a few differences: They have nothing resembling our
 > sigaction, and sigstack patches (are they still needed?)  They have an
 > additional "libio-vfork" patch, which may fix our problems with
 > non-cvs kernels (I'm not sure, but I've attached it so you can look at
 > it).  Another difference is that RH is using glibc-990329.tar.gz as a
 > base and we are using glibc-19990406.tar.gz.

The vfork patch is superseded by:
1999-03-29  Paul Eggert  <eggert@twinsun.com>

        * libio/iopopen.c (_IO_new_proc_open): Don't modify proc_file_chain
        while in child process.

which should be in 2.1.1-0.2.

 > [...]

 > One other, general note.  The RedHat ncsd init script doesn't start it
 > on 2.0 kernels, they say that it won't run on kernels older than 2.2.0
 > because of threading problems.
Read the FAQ ("2.24.   When I use nscd the machine freezes."), they're
right.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de