SPARC NVRAM/RTC [was Re: utilizing keys (type 5 keyboard)]

Hendrik Visage wrote:

> Davide Barbieri wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 07:56:58PM -0500, Matthew Haas wrote:
> >  > One last request-- I have a friend who has a SS-1+ ..apparently the
> >  > battery is dead (the .enet-addr is ALL zeroes, and it doesn't remember
> >  > settings after it's powered off).. any good sources for new batteries?
> >
> >  You must call SUN, and ask to sobstitute the eprom, which is gone.
>
> Hmmm, try the NVRAM chip (The thing with the CMOS in PC terms). It already
> happened to IPX & IPCs. Actually, there's a way to "fix" it by soldering an
> battery to the chip. Try http://www.squirrel.com or http://www.stokely.com and
> look for NVRAM, Hostid Chip, there should be a reference there somewhere on this
> hack.
>
> Sun as such might not have the parts anymore, but a replacement might be get
> from Electronic suppliers.

I got mine from Mouser Electronics. Great service and they'll sell you a
single component using a credit card order. It cost me ~$20 with
shipping. That seems expensive, but it wasn't a bad price to resurrect a
free computer. ;)

I got mine for an old SS2. I don't have the part number handy right now,
but I found it on a FAQ on the internet. The FAQ also describes exactly
how to program it after replacing the chip. Let me know if you can't
find the FAQ, and I'll dig around for the URL.

Jeff

Jeffrey Ebert                                 ebert@sonicsinc.com
Sonics, Inc.                                  (650)938-2500, x108