Re: solaris binaries.

Daniel Brosemer <dbroseme@cornus.glfc.forestry.ca> writes:

> Hi, thanks to people on this group, I have almost all my questions sorted
> out re: debian-sparc, however, I still have one question.

> I read somewhere that S/Linux could run solaris binaries, is this true?
> If it is, how do I do it?  On my sparcstation IPC, if I try to run even
> the simplest brute-force prime number finder that I compiled under solaris
> on a sparc-20, I get

> dbroseme@cornus:[~/c]$ ./primesun
> bash: ./primesun: No such file or directory
> dbroseme@cornus:[~/c]$ ll primesun
> -rwxrwxr-x   1 dbroseme laa         22894 Mar  3 15:15 primesun*

> So the file is there, and quite executable, I even used TAB to complete
> the name.  It runs fine on a solaris machine (in fact, any of the
> sparc-10s, sparc-20s, or ultras).  Do I need to install any special
> libraries?  Is there a module to insert into the S/Linux kernel that I
> haven't found?

> Thanks very much for your help.

You need to populate "/usr/gnemul/solaris".  At the very least, you
need usr/lib/ld.so and usr/lib/ld.so.  You will probably also need a
bunch of devices in the dev directory (/usr/gnemul/solaris/dev).  I'll
try to get around to making a real debian package of this, until then,
grab:

    http://www.debian.org/~dunham/solemul_1.0-3_sparc.deb

which is an alien'd version of the corresponding UltraPenguin package.
(You will still need to legally obtain the shared libraries or
statically link your application.)

Also, note that anything using Solaris threads won't work.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu