Re: 2.1_r0 install experience

So, I went through the install, and an old problem reappeared...

When booting off of this disk (sd(0,2,0)), I get

Bad magic number in disk label!
Bad magic number in disk label!
IProgram terminated.
ok

I assume this is because (1) the disk was originally formatted on an
x86 linux box, so it has a DOS partition table (2) fdisk isn't a "big
enough hammer" to fix that...

I did note that fdisk had a "b" option for "edit bsd partition table"
but all it said was "/dev/sdb has no BSD-style partition table"...
I did find (after rebooting with the rescue zip disk) the eXpert mode
"g" option for "create an IRIX partition table" which is somewhat
distressing...  and in fact, that looks like what it *does* do.  Very
very strange.

Suggestions for hammering in a partition table/disklabel that silo
will deal with?  What would happen on a blank disk (which I can turn
this one into, with dd)?
			_Mark_ <eichin@thok.org>
			The Herd of Kittens
			Debian Package Maintainer