Re: new bootdisks uploaded

edmundo@rano.demon.co.uk wrote:
> I decided to test your boot floppies on my SPARCstation 2 again.
>
> From
> ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/exp/disks-sparc/990301
> I acquired:
>
> base14-[1-8].bin.2.1.8.1-sparc
> drv1440-2.2.1.bin.2.1.8.1-sparc
> drv1440.bin.2.1.8.1-sparc
> resc1440-2.2.1.bin.2.1.8.1-sparc
> resc1440.bin.2.1.8.1-sparc
> root1440.bin.malnova
>
> First I did a pure floppy install using the 2.0.x kernel. Everything
> worked perfectly. I missed out the dselect bit, though. I could boot
> from the hard disk and from the boot floppy I made.
>
> I grabbed a copy of base2_1.tgz while the installer was unpacking it.
> The network, including DNS, must have been set up correctly because I
> had no problems putting a copy of base2_1.tgz onto another machine ...
> once I discovered that the network connector had fallen out of the
> back! (Those AUI/10BaseT converters are a bit heavy for their
> sockets.)
>
> Then I tried reinstalling using the 2.2.1 kernel floppies, fetching
> base2_1.tgz by NFS, this time. This worked perfectly too, apart from
> annoying error messages that messed up the screen from time to time.
>
> Those error messages included:
>
>   /dev/fd0: Device not configured
>   modprobe: can't locate module block-major-3
>   SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
>   can't locate module nfs

Those messages are normally redirected to tty3 by the installer but I have had
to disable this feature for 2.2 kernels because it hung the keyboard on tty1.
I will investigate a bit further later to find a way to fix it...  hopefully
before the next freeze of potato ;)

> Random comment: I got a different kind of cursor with 2.2.1, and a
> penguin with a sun on its tummy.
>
> Interestingly, 2.2.1 leaves the display in a funny state when you
> shutdown. The PROM write black on black for a while afterwards.
>
> Anyway, it all worked, basically, so I hope everything else is ready
> for a successful release this time ...

I hope too :-))

Thanks for your report.