Re: Release notes addendum (was: Re: slink_cd: still waiting on final boot/install setup)

Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@sources.org> writes:

> On Friday 26 February 1999, at 17 h 37, the keyboard of Eric Delaunay
> <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote:

> > Could it be added for sparc too ?
> > It is also the first release of Debian GNU/Linux for sparc/ultra.

> Done (same text, with a word about the Ultra). I thought that Debian was not
> ready on the Ultra (I mean, it runs, but it does not use the Ultra-specific
> stuff and it's not 64-bits)?

What Ultra specific stuff?  X works, it compiles kernels, and it runs
well enough to be my primary machine for the last 2 months.  Also, Sun
loaned us an Ultra 5 which will be at the Debian booth at LinuxWorld
(showing off slink, with gnome-apt and some 0.99.4 gnome packages
added).  After LinuxWorld, Sun will be sending it to a user's group
with Debian still installed for a demo.

The 64-bit stuff will come, but the 32-bit stuff is quite usable, and
there is no sense forcing people to use Red Hat (aka UltraPenguin)
while they wait.  :)

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu