Re: Debian/sparc problems (and solutions?)

--On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 1:16 pm +0200 "Christian Meder"
<meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 06:46:17PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
>> [^Z doesn't work in bash, and recently ksh]
>
> Could you elaborate ?

Well.. in 2.0.35, on my SS2 (and I know others have experienced this) you
cannot suspend processes with ^Z in bash.  More accurately, you can suspend
the process, but bash never comes to the foreground - so you are left with a
dead terminal sitting on a suspended process.

>> [modprobe problems]
>
> I don't have modprobe problems. SS2 specific ?

I don't personally use modprobe - those problems were Michael's, perhaps
he'll elaborate.

>> I can add to that:
>>
>> I'm seeing segfaults with any program which is linked to our current
>> libstdc++ 2.8.  2.9 is fine.  This is a problem, since apt has broken...
>
> 2.0.95 broke libstdc++2.8 and there's no source to recompile (see
> debian-devel thread).

I more or less deduced this myself.  (I am not currently on -devel, I had to
unsubscribe because I was on holiday, and the volume is vast.  I'm in the
process of catching up with the archives, at which point I will
re-subscribe).

>> And then we have the big kernel version problem.  Any recent 2.1 kernel
>> (later than eightysomething ????) will not run our bash.  Or not last I
>> tried, anyhow.
>>
>> 2.0.33 doesn't have the ^Z problem, BTW.  2.0.35 does.
>
> Hmm, 2.0.35 is rock stable on my Sparc10 ...

Other serious problems I see on a regular basis are:

ldd doesn't work on shared libs, which breaks dpkg-shlibdeps.  This is
apparently SS2 specific, and fixed in kernel 2.1.x (x>80 or so).

kernel 2.1 doesn't work :-(  Problem seems to be our bash.

Recently, update-menus has started segfaulting on me.  I have recompiled the
menu package against stdc++ 2.9, but the problem remains.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |