Re: lpr and permission on sparc-debian

Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:

> 	Hi all,
> 	I found that a new verion of lpr (lpr_5.9-29.deb) have been
> put on the debian-sparc (slink diribution. But I still got the same
> permission problem as I has *reported before*
>
> birman(4) ls | lpr
> lpr: cannot create /var/spool/lpd/stat35/.seq
>
> The same command worke under root and there is indeed a file
>
> /var/spool/lpd/stat35/.seq
>
> created (what is it for ?) with owner root. But as it stands no
> ordinary user can print since the file .seg cannot be created !
>
> 	Has any one taken care of this problem.

I've noticed the same problem (with the version I installed in early July;
I haven't upgraded to the latest recompiled versions of things).
It went away when I recompiled the package.

I also noticed a bug with mailx that went away after recompiling.

What compiler was used for the mass recompilations?  (I used gcc_2.7.2.3-4.)
Maybe a compiler bug is causing at least some of the problems.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu