Re: Ethernet cards, Gfx programming

And thus spake Anders Hammarquist, on Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 03:41:37AM +0200:
> First, as Dave said, you may want to consider things other than
> Ethernet. For many machines FDDI is probably better if you want
> predictable throughput. FibreChannel might also be something to look in
> to.

Sun also sells a quad fast ethernet on a single SBUS or PCI card, and
a gigabit ethernet card (the Gbit card is only available for UE or U2
systems though).

> >Is it possible to use two 100Mbit Ethernet cards in a Sparc5?
> >(what's the throughput? caveats?)
>
> Shouldn't be any problem, the SS5 has 3 SBus slots (you loose one
> for your framebuffer card which leaves 2 for 2 Ethernet Cards), and
> there is plenty of bandwidth in the SBus.

I would recommend the quad HME card. :)

> >Are there 3rd-party companies selling cheap(er) 100Mbit cards for
> >Sparc5? (in Europe, preferably)
>
> I don't know of any off-hand, but I would expect so. I know a guy how
> sells 3rd-party sparc gear, I can ask him if you're interested.

If you have a newer sun with PCI, you can use DECchip tulip cards and
the like, if you're using linux.

--
Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl at nyx.net>That is not dead which can eternal lie,
     <fnord at cosanostra.net>   And with strange aeons even death may die.