Sparc status/my two cents

Michael Shuey writes:
 > I've been reading this list for a while now, so maybe I can answer a few
 > questions about Debian/sparc's status.  I may be wrong about the status of
 > a few things, but if I am the main developers will probably hurry to correct
 > me, so here goes.

I would like to add the problem of keyboard repeat. No one seems to
care but it is very important to me. I have to enter my password many
times just to login because I can't make my keyborad not repeating my
password. May be I have a special type of typing with my finger
staying on the key longer than ordinary folk.

Anyway, the kernel (or whatever) seems unable to control the keyboard
repeat. kbdrate dosn't works: it reports a new delay and rate, but
they aren't changed. I have set the delay to a maximum value of 1000
ms, but still have apparently the same repeat delay (it is
inconceivable that my finger stay on the key more than 1 sec). Using X
with option -r -ar1 -ar2 (which supposely would change the delay and
repeat rate) dosn't seem to change anything. I have launched "xset r
off" to turn off the keyboard repeating but it still repeats.
Obviously the Xserver is unable to control this behaviour. (For
curiosity, I have tried this command on every unix stations and linux
PC which I have acces: it works as advertized).

By the way, I have tried the redhat sparc distribution and still get
the same problem. I suspect I should tell them but I don't know how.
I am not their client. I would prefer debian (unless of course, the
redhat people have a solution to this problem).