Re: Compiling Packages

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Dave Broudy wrote:

> I just inheireted a Sparc 2, and I've noticed that there are a few less
> packages Debian Sparc than for x86. What is the easiest/best way to
> compile existing packages for x86, not only for my own use, but for the
> main distribution site?
>
> I can probably handle a decent amount of porting, if that is nessacary to
> get any particular package to compile. Are the debianized sources
> available for x86 packages so that I can just grab those and start
> compiling?

You need to install the debian development packages.  I forget which,
exactly.  dpkg-dev, etc.  You will also need 'most' -dev packages - any
which are required by things you're trying to build.

Then you do the following:

1) Download the .orig.tar.gz, .diff.gz and .dsc file for the package from
any mirror in dists/<hamm or slink>/source

2) Put all three in the same dir.  Type 'dpkg-source -x ????.dsc'

3) Cd into the newly created source dir.  Run 'debian/rules build' (if
possible, as root, otherwise, read the docs on how to use fakeroot).

And hope it works.  If it doesn't work, see if you can work out why not,
and submit patches to the debian maintainer.

> Also, would it be worth my time to setup a cross-compiler on my 2x166 SMP
> machine to compile things more quickly?

I'll leave the more qualified majority to comment on this one.

Jules