Re: libc6 (980414) problems

> Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:48:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
> Subject: Re: libc6 (980414) problems
> To: Paul Vojta <vojta@math.berkeley.edu>
>
> >  	o  Netscape hangs (this is Netscape 4.04 for SunOS 4).  It sits
> there
> >  	   sleeping before even popping up a window.
>
> I'm not sure how this one, at least, could be glibc's fault, since netscape a)
> will use the SunOS ld.so, I hope, and b) shouldn't require or use glibc at
> all; it should either be static, or use the SunOS libc.so copied from a Sun...

I did upgrade some other packages (possibly including ldso) at the same time,
but libc6 seemed to be the most likely suspect.

It seems to be a loader problem.  Consider the following:

_tashkent% ldd /sunos/bin/bc
        -lc.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.9
        -ldl.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1.0
_tashkent% ldd /usr/pv/netscape/netscape_dns
[Sits there until I hit Control-C.]
_tashkent% file /sunos/bin/bc /usr/pv/netscape/netscape_dns
/sunos/bin/bc:                 sparc demand paged dynamically linked executable
/usr/pv/netscape/netscape_dns: sparc demand paged dynamically linked executable

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu