Re: Debian floppies in DIST/hamm/hamm/disks-sparc on ftp.debian.org

Adam Haberlach wrote:
> I'm having some problems using the bootdisks to install Linux on my
> Sparc/IPX.  I first attempted to set up the floppy set by using dd on a
> BeOS system to squirt the files onto the disks.  When I attempted to boot
> the rescue disk, SILO loaded as normal, but when I tried to continue, the
> kernel could not be found, and it reported a short-read error on block 50.
>  I figured that it was a problem caused by the flaky floppy drivers on
> BeOS.
> 	I downloaded the image files to the Sparc machine (it is currently running
> a version of RedHad that I really don't like) and attempted to dd them onto
> the floppies from there, but had the same problem.
>
> 	Is there something I am misusing in dd?  I usually use bs=18k to make the
> copy go faster, but I've tried it with the default blocksize as well.
>  Otherwise I would suspect that the installatio disks (at least the rescue
> one) on the site are corrupt.
>
> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Sorry for the late reply, my sparc2 I use for testing was having troubles
(dead power supply :-( ).  Hopefully I got a spare part from an old sparc 1+ :-))

Well, I'm working on new boot disks but I cannot upload them immediately
because they suffer from some nasty bugs (eg. dinstall segfaults while
processing the drivers floppy image).
I could just download the rescue image to my ftp site:
  ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/exp/disks-sparc/980512
Would you want to try it ?  It is based on the latest SILO boot loader.  Maybe
your problem will be solved with it (I guess you can still use all other boot
disks).

Hope this help.