Installing Dpkg-devel

Sparc people,

I have been trying to compile a kernel on a sparcstation 10, I have
installed all the kernel source and patched aswell.

When I try to install the dpkg-dev packages to run make-kpkg I get the
following error:

gnome# dpkg -i dpkg-dev_1.4.0.22.deb
(Reading database ... 18925 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking dpkg-dev (from dpkg-dev_1.4.0.22.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing dpkg-dev_1.4.0.22.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/index.html', which is
also in
 package dpkg
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 dpkg-dev_1.4.0.22.deb

Has anyone seen this before? I have tried removing all packages related to
dpkg, aswell as dpkg-dev (even though it is not installed).
I have also tried removing the index.html file, and the entire
/usr/doc/dpkg directory tree.

If anyone has some ideas please let me know.

Eric Dynowski