Re: Netra I5 (headless box)

>A while ago I posted a message about not being able to use the Debian
>install disks on my I5 because I have no "real" tty ... the console is a
>serial terminal.  Someone (Eric Delaunay iirc) said this was due to some
>problems with init wanting to open a non-serial tty ... I don't have the
>email in front of me but I can remember appreciating the problem :)
>
>Question:  am I SOL running Linux on the I5 until init is patched?  or
>are there ways around this?  I'll install another distro and hack it
>back to Debian if I have to ...

Way back in 1.3 days I managed to install debian on a headless sparc.
There is nothing in init that requires that the tty is the console, it
will work (or did at least then) with a serial console. What I did to
get the output in the right place was to change /dev/console,
/dev/tty0 and /dev/tty1 to symlinks /dev/ttyS0 (I think, maybe I used
mknod to change the minor) on the install root (this implies that you
have to have access to machine which can read/write ext2). After you
are installed, you have to make sure that init runs a getty on your
serial port (boot singleuser if it doesn't and edit inittab). Other
than that I don't recall having any problems. (The 'normal' init
doesn't have problems with the serial console, it's just the one on
the install disks).

/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40