Re: glibc-2.1 & string optimizations

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Eric Delaunay wrote:

>   I discovered a problem with string optimizations in glibc 2.1 because each
> str... function is overriden by a macro which uses its arguments multiple
> times (see bits/string2.h).  For instance, you cannot write something like
> 	strcmp( *++argv, "foo" )
> anymore.  However, many programs are based on such constructs :-(

	Known bug. (at least, I found it and I mailed debian-sparc and
Miguel de Icaza, without any answer yet).

	I think it fails only with `strcmp', and only if one of the
two arguments is a string constant.  Can anyone confirm that?  I
haven't tested all the functions, but the rest of the file
/usr/include/bits/string2.h (where that macro is defined) seems OK.

	I've just mailed Ulrich Drepper... waiting for his answer :)

	BTW: I'm building a new glibc now, which will fix the
getdomainname() bug (ie, "Unimplemented SPARC system call 162"), and
some other things... I'll see if I can fix that too.

--
Juan Cespedes