Re: Can I update the sparc glibc?

Chris Trainor <christr@macross.com> writes:

> hmmm, this is weird.  Since I upgraded to your set of glibc, I can't seem
> to run Dselect anymore. :)   (and dpkg gives me a bunch of errors too).

> I can't get into the 'select' section of Dselect, and 'update' generates
> errors,  but seems to chug along.

> here they are:

> -- while running dpkg --

> atlantia:/gatekeeper/home/ftp/Debian/dists/potato/main/binary-sparc/base#
> dpkg -i dpkg_1.4.0.31.deb
> (Reading database ... 27744 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace dpkg 1.4.0.31 (using dpkg_1.4.0.31.deb) ...
> error un-catching signal Quit: Success
> error un-catching signal Interrupt: Success
> error un-catching signal Quit: Success
> error un-catching signal Interrupt: Success
> Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
> Setting up dpkg (1.4.0.31) ...
> error un-catching signal Quit: Success
> error un-catching signal Interrupt: Success

This is odd, I have no problems with the same package.  I tried on
both a SS20 and an Ultra5.

Your problem is occuring in the preinstall and postinstall scripts.
What version of bash do you have installed?  Do you have something
other than bash installed as /bin/sh?  (I've using bash_2.01.1-4.1 on
both machines.)

I'm guessing that the the three pairs of errors are emitted by bash
when running dpkg.prerm, dpkg.preinst and dpkg.postinst.

Let me know what version of bash you have installed, if it's an older
version, try the current one.  If not, tell me what kernel, readline,
and ncurses packages you have installed.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu