Re: new bootdisks available

Jeffrey Ebert wrote:
> Eric Delaunay wrote:
> >
> > Jeffrey Ebert wrote:
> > > Thanks for the bootdisks, Eric.
> > >
> > > I was able to boot with the new disks yesterday on my SS2, but only when
> > > I entered "/fd;/linux" at the boot prompt. If I hit ENTER, then it
> > > reported a read error on block 65 (or byte 65, I can't remember). This
> > > must be a SILO problem with certain hardware/PROM combinations.
> >
> > Happy to see it works :-))
> > BTW, can you explain me the syntax a bit further ?  I don't understand the
> > first part: /fd;
> > Is this working on all sparcs ? (then I could put it the default for silo)
> >

> IIRC, the full syntax is [<openprom path>;][<partition number>]<path to
> kernel>. If you type help at the SILO prompt you will get a brief
> explanation of this. /fd is a short path to the floppy disk that
> openprom understands. There are longer paths as well, but this is sort
> of like a symlink. I didn't check the archives, but I think someone else
> posted this solution for the old bootdisks. Maybe that individual can
> step forward and give a better answer?

Well, I tried /fd;/linux with no success at all on my SparcClassic :-(
(ROM rev 2.12).

SILO boot: /fd;/linux

or

SILO boot: /fd;1/linux

gives the following error:

Fatal error: Couldn't open device /fd
Image not found... try again

It seems newer workstations doesn't support /fd alias :-(
Rather than making it the default, I will document it in the release notes.

Thanks for the explanation.
Regards.