Re: Graphical Browser for Sparc/Linux

--On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 4:41 pm +0530 "Sanjeev Gupta"
<ghane@arjun.eurolink.stpn.soft.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Got a SPARCclassic running sid.  Running well.  Stock kernel 2.0.35, no
> recompiles neccessary (actually just apt, but that was because I paniced).
>
> What I need is a graphical (read: netscape) for the machine.  Then to
> place it in the Library as a browser.  Point out excellent security and
> stability on a `public' machine.  Accept pats-on-back.  Smile :-)
>
> Grail is non-frames friendly.
>
> Is there a mozilla for Sparc/Linux?  Where?

There are navigators compiled for Sparc/Linux, but they don't work on
debian, and I haven't had a chance to investigate why not.

Mozilla certainly should compile - but you need to find a stable source-code
snapshot, and several hundred megabytes of disk space to compile it.  Also,
I suspect you won't find it sufficiently stable for your purposes.

Unfortunately, no other browser is even close in functionality.  Last I
checked, the closest is probably amaya, which AFAIK has the distinction of
being the only other to do frames.  The most promising is mnemonic
(www.mnemonic.org) which is close, I believe to a public release.

The w3 emacs mode is also quite good :-)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |