Re: The time has come ...

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 05:06:15PM +0000, Scott Ashcroft wrote:
> On 21 Nov, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Scratch that :) I forgot that I had relinked /dev/console to /dev/null, so
> > the serial getty console worked, and kernel boot msgs showed, but
> > obviously console msgs were not shown. This just bypassed the problem
> > which i guess is in the console driver?
>
> I've just done:
>
> rm /dev/console
> mknod /dev/console c 5 1
>
> and now everyting works.

Eureka! This works great for me as well, I still get this message tho, not
sure of the severity:

   INIT: version 2.76 booting
>>>Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
   Adding Swap: 98580k swap-space (priority -1)
   Checking root file system...
   Parallelizing fsck version 1.12 (9-Jul-98)

It isn't affecting anything, so I'm not really concerned.

> This needs to be in an FAQ somewhere.

Agreed

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org