Re: The time has come ...

--On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 9:17 pm -0500 "Derrick J Brashear"
<shadow@DEMENTIA.ORG> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
>
>> I'd just spent >> 10 CPU hours compiling glibc 2.0.100 on my SS2, only to
>> have it segfault on an explicit invocation of ld-linux.so (which I
suspect
>> is a typical manifestation of the Sun4c/2.0.x kernel breakage).
>
> The generally accepted sun4c 2.0.x problem is manifested in a slowing of
> the machine over time. This is most likely another problem, though if this
> SS2 has a Weitek PowerUp that's another potential gotcha. (depending on
> its age)

Yes.  I'm talking about a different problem here.  One symptom of it is that
'ldd /usr/lib/libm.so' (or almost any other library) will segfault.

It is, I'm glad to report, fixed by the 2.1 kernel I'm now running (it still
occurs under 2.0.35, even with glibc 2.0.100).

Also fixed are most of the X problems I was complaining about a month ago.
Things are looking up.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Debian GNU/Linux - "Microsoft *does* have a year 2000 problem -     |
|                      and we're it!" (paraphrased from IRC)           |