Re: re freezing powerpc

> > sparc has got a working but _very_ old installation set (to be updated)
>
> Yes I know that, but I'm waiting for fixed glibc/bash before working on new
> installation set.  I recently bought a SCSI CD-recorder, so I will also be
> able to build & try CD images for sparc.

Eric, I am interested in helping on building a tftp image based Debian
installation procedure for UltraSPARC. We are working with RedHat based
UltraPenguin kernel which also supports 32-bit SPARC but most of us do
not like to work with a hybrid system. Many developers suggested me
try working on a pure Debian 32-bit system with UltraPenguin kernel. Since
UltraPenguin is still a 32-bit system except the kernel itself, we think
we can make it working.

Since you have been the major developer for 32-bit Debian/SPARC installation
related work, can you help give me some information and guidance? What I
try to learn is how to merge a bootable image (I knew it is a.out format
converted from ELF) with Debian installer.

Kernel developers intended to provide a system supporting both 32-bit and
64-bit. We do not know what Debian SPARC developers think about this. Any
ideas?

> BTW, do/should we have to use a 2.1 kernel ?
> I heard latest 2.1 releases fix the sun4c slowdown, support Turbosparc, ...
> Anybody already packaged one ?

I do not think 2.1.x fixes sun4c slowdown but has maybe some improvements.
Turbosparc is supported in 2.0.35(?) stable kernel if my memory serves.

Thanks,

--ward