[meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de: Re: re freezing powerpc]

Oops, forgot to send it to the list too !

----- Forwarded message from Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> -----

Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 18:10:23 +0100
From: Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr>
Subject: Re: re freezing powerpc

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 10:09:33PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> Christian Meder wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 01:50:20AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > debian/sparc at present:
> > - has X albeit still slightly buggy but definitly usable, but we have to wait
> > for the X revolution to settle down before we can try to rebuild a more
> > recent version
> >
> > >  - is switching glibc versions by five
> >
> > true for sparc, too. But I'm using a 2.0.99 cvs snapshot which is a real
> > improvement for sparc:
> > * the ^Z problems with bash and other signal handling oddities (sparc
> >   specific) are gone => we can run 2.1.x kernels on Debian/Sparc now
> > * it has got a db1 interface
> > * the exp function segfault (sparc specific) is fixed
> >
> > >  - has no working base tarball, let alone installer
> >
> > sparc has got a working but _very_ old installation set (to be updated)
>
> Yes I know that, but I'm waiting for fixed glibc/bash before working on new
> installation set.  I recently bought a SCSI CD-recorder, so I will also be
> able to build & try CD images for sparc.

Great ;-)

> BTW, do/should we have to use a 2.1 kernel ?
> I heard latest 2.1 releases fix the sun4c slowdown, support Turbosparc, ...
> Anybody already packaged one ?

I use the recompiled 2.1.125 package from Hartmut Koptein (powerpc)
and will upload it with the new glibc.

> > >  - has nothing approaching the set of packages it could given a little
> > >    more time
> >
> > ditto for sparc. But I guess you could call it a reasonable subset by release
> > time.
>
> I hope availability of the new glibc will speed up the building process.

I hope so too. I'll upload the new glibc with a new 2.0.35 kernel, a
2.1.125 kernel and the updated base packages.

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de