Re: Upcoming 2.1 Release Architectures

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 10:05:25AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:

>     Brian> Could I get some official word on which architectures wish
>     Brian> to be included in the 2.1 release of Debian?  Thanks!
>
> I don't think sparc is ready to go, though Johnnie or Eric may see it
> differently.

I'm neither Johnnie nor Eric but I think the basic tools on sparc are
stabilizing (compiler, glibc2.1, kernel). I don't think Sparc is ready
for a full blown quality release like i386.

Does it make sense to go for a stabilized developer snapshot, i.e.
a Sparc port which has base, required, standard and parts of the
optional packages (sources based on the slink dist of i386) ?
Kind of a official _development_ release with a big disclaimer about
the development character of the port. Powerpc probably would be a
second candidate for such a release.

2 reasons in favour:

* we ease the work of the CD producers to provide a _reasonable_
(installable) snapshot of the ports

* if there's a stabilized snapshot newbies will get (hopefully) a
softer introduction in the wonders of the Linux-Sparc/Powerpc/Arm/... world

Greeetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de