Re: Debian/sparc problems (and solutions?)

Michael Shuey writes:

 > Oddly enough, I recompiled modutils & insmod/modprobe are working now.
 > Unfortunately, autofs no longer works.  It was staying up for hours on end,
 > but now it's dying after a couple minutes again.  Dammit.

glibc has changed in september, so you are compiling with a newer
glibc while the insmod which has worked for me was probably compiled
with an older glibc, than the one compiled with the present insmod.

I was also told that autofs compiled with libc5 (not glibc) works fine.

Just a little thought: it cane as a surpise to me when I learn that
the debian-sparc developpers have adopted a beta version of glibc,
while other intel developers as well as the redhat people sitll use
the glibc version. The intel side have a lot more developpers (and
testers too) and the development is much more advanced, It make sense
to follows their lead rather the other way round. Instead of
experimenting with an unstable glibc, would it is better trying to
fill in all the missing packages in the sparc tree (there are a lot of
them) ?

 > BTW, you should probably upgrade your kernel to 2.0.35 using the sources on
 > vger.  There are several fixes in 2.0.35 that make things a little more
 > stable.

Well, I would like too. But I have only an old sparc (IPC) with little
disk space. So I would rather wait for some ome to up load a new
kernel. I have had plan to convert a more recent sparc-solaris to
debian, but with these instabilities, i have put it on hold.

PHAM Dinh Tuan                         | e-mail: Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble cedex (France)   | Fax: +33 4 76 63 12 63