Re: Boot problem on IPC with color fb

On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 02:08:16AM +0200, Martin Stjernholm wrote:
> I've run across a problem when trying to install Debian with the
> 1998-05-25 boot images:
>
> I have an IPC with a color fb card, and the kernel on the rescue disk
> won't boot with it; right after the kernel is unpacked the screen gets
> blue and nothing more happens, not even L1-A works. The kernel in the
> tftpboot image doesn't have this problem.
>
> /Martin

Good news and bad news.

I had the SAME PROBLEM and I solved it.

WHat is your PROM Version?

I got an IPC with PROM 1.6....tftpboot worked fine... but Blue Screen of Death
on othe rreboots (works fine without the color frame buffer)

I later bought a IPC which had PROM version 2.4 ...this one worked JUST FINE
with the same frame buffer (in fact...same hard drive with the same filesystem)

You NEED to either run B&W or upgrade the PROM...
I don't know hwo to get a PROM upgrade...I have been looking around for my
other IPC but no luck yet...

Only consolation....the frame buffer should work FINE under SUNOS

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"